Matterhorn Macaroons

The Matterhorn is one of the classic attractions in Disneyland. It is also a really good old spice deodorant. Just thought I would recommend it.

Sadly the Matterhorn is only in the California resort. Even more depressing it was closed when I went there. But when I went to the blue ribbon bakery I came across these puppies:

Which were indeed magical for lack of original description. When I got home I had to make my own version of the snowy cookie mountains that the Yeti calls home. I modified a recipe by Mark Bittman and created something my friends say is better than the Lucy Diamond cookies.
Matterhorn Macaroons

What you need:
3 cups unsweetened coconut
1 cup sugar
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon almond extract
pinch of salt
1 bag white chocolate chips

What you do:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, stir together the first five ingredients with a spatula. You may want to use your hands even though it is messy. Clump them up into balls, place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press together the tops to make little peaks. You may want to wet your hands to do so. Then bake for 15 minutes.

After the macaroons come out of the oven, melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl on 20 second installments, stirring in between each installment. Keep doing this until it is almost liquid, about 5 or 6 installments. Drizzle on top of the macaroons with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment