Maple Buttermilk Pie

Right now I'm thinking about how to pack two weeks worth of film, cameras, computers, and clothes into a carry-on. Wish me luck. It's never a pretty process, and the inevitable low-point always comes when I attempt to awkwardly hoist it into a cramped airplane overhead compartment. I know I have one shot, gotta get under it, then lean in and push. It never wants to fit, and now I'm totally blocking the aisle. This is my least favorite twenty seconds of travel, although (I'd argue) better than waiting around at the luggage carrousel. I'm headed to London and Paris for a bit of an escape, and (packing issues aside) I couldn't be more excited. Before I go, I wanted to share this sweet little pie I made. I use the same rye flour crust I used for the berry pie. The filling is pure, creamy, maple-kissed tanginess, and a breeze to pull together.

Maple Buttermilk Pie

I wouldn't normally post two pies so closely together, but their personalities are distinct enough that I hope you won't mind. It just sort of happened. I've been working on waffles lately - Belgian. So I end up with quite a number of egg yolks and loads of buttermilk on hand. My solution? This is it. Hope you like.

I'm looking forward to coming back with plenty of pictures and inspiration. And in the meantime, I hope a few of you feel compelled to give this a go. You could certainly do it as a tart, or do mini versions. It's a good way to transition out of the stone fruit and berry pies of summer. Looking forward to welcoming fall in a proper fashion (with many of you) when I get back home.

Continue reading Maple Buttermilk Pie...


No comments:

Post a Comment