Simply Cooking: 3-colour Spring Vegetable Namul (Namuru)

A few months ago, I've discovered this amazing site known as JustBento.com. Just Bento features a range of Bento-related articles and issues, as well as recipes fit for a bento box. As I was reading the recipes of Just Bento and gawking at the bento boxes prepared by people across the globe, I had this resolution that I should cook more like them. Of course, that did not happen. Yet, the dishes from Just Bento manage to find their way into my kitchen. :)

Most of the recipes at Just Bento are really simple to prepare and healthy. From what I gather off the site, bento boxes do not need to be complicated. I believe that cooking in general does not need to be time-consuming and complicated. I know that most people think that they can't cook for nuts but I have this believe that everyone can cook and that cooking ought to be embraced by everybody. I rationalise that cooking fosters a healthy relationship with food and promotes the slow food movement. I believe that food is better appreciated when one cooks.

Today, I am going to introduce you this really simple 3-colour spring vegetable namul ( Korean vegetable side dish that is often prepared with seasoning such as soy sauce and sugar). This is not the first time I made namul but I find this namul recipe from JustBentoincredibly interesting. First, it utilizes vinegar - this is my first time using vinegar in preparing namul! And instead of sugar, honey is used. The finished product tastes a little like pickle. Second, it is really colourful for a namul. Most namuls that I've dealt with consist of a single ingredient. Third, it has this jazzy taste that I truly enjoy.

If your kids loathe vegetables, I think this might be the solution. :)




Recipe: Three colour spring vegetable namul (Serves 2) - to see Original recipe, click here

Note: Following recipe has been modified.

Ingredients:

A: Dressing
-1 tablespoon of vinegar (I used Korean lemon vinegar)
-1 teaspoon of honey ( I used Manuka)
-1 teaspoon of soy sauce (Original recipe uses salt)
-A pinch of pepper
-2 drops of sesame oil

B:
-5 leaves of Chinese cabbage (wombok) or regular cabbage, chopped into 1.5 cm squares
-1 bunch of bok choy or spinach (I prefer bok choy because it is less tedious), chopped into 1 cm lengths
-3-4 crab sticks

C:
-1 carrot, ends removed, shredded


Instructions:

1. Combine ingredients A together in a small bowl. If it does not dissolve properly, add 1/2 teaspoon of warm water and microwave HIGH for 10 seconds. It should do the trick.
2. Bring water to boil in a pot. When it boils, add in ingredients B. Boil for 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook vegetables.
3. Turn off heat. Drain vegetables and crab sticks. Rinse under cold water to stop cooking process. Drain again and squeeze excess moisture. The crab sticks should be shredded by now.
4. In a mixing bowl, add shredded carrot and the rest of the vegetables. Add in the dressing and incorporate well. Serve with rice or soba noodles. :)

This dish would keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days. So if you cannot finish it in one go, don't fret!


___________

I have a lot more to write about the States but I think you guys are dying to read a recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment