Oatmeal Muffins

These muffins are a good-bye kiss from my workhorse of an oven. The last hurrah. Although, not much to look at, I have a lot to thank it for. We've survived two cookbooks together, a thousand meals, and unlike some other stoves I've lived with - this one was easy-going, not particularly temperamental. I'll miss it. I'm going to miss all sorts of things about this apartment, but now's not the time to get sentimental on you. There are more boxes to pack. The muffins? They're crazy-good-substantial-notlikecake. Crumble-topped with an oatmeal and yogurt base. They're a bit custard-y when hot, and not-at-all when cooled. Craggy, golden-topped - the perfect send-off.

Oatmeal Muffins

I couldn't resist putting a crumble on these, the same one from the Tutti-Frutti Crumble in Super Natural Every Day. The muffins themselves don't come across as particularly sweet, but you get a nice amount of sweetness from the topping. Overall, I would say, the muffins might classify as lightly-sweetened, which is what I like. That said, you could add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup to the wet ingredients if you think you might want a slightly sweeter punch to these. Or stir in some sweet fruit.

I kept these pretty straight forward - rolled oats, yogurt, etc. You could take them in a thousand directions with different spice combination, or citrus zest, or add-ins like seeds, or berries, or dried fruit. The most important thing though is this - pop them out of the pan as soon as you can after baking. Let them cool outside the pan on a baking rack. In the pan they steam, and! it will impact the texture of the muffins. And not in a good way...

I hope you like them. And hopefully, the next time I post it'll be from a new address! Thanks for all your nice notes regarding the move. I can't believe how many of you are in the middle of the same thing. Hope you're having as much fun as I am ;) Oh - and a quick update. Books from the new shipments of Super Natural Every Day will be available any time now - fingers crossed. A bunch of places are sold out (thank you!!!), but that should be remedied soon. I'll give you all the heads up when it is back in stock. -h

Continue reading Oatmeal Muffins...


No comments:

Post a Comment