Avocado Orange Salad

IMG_3833

Whats the weirdest thing youve had for dinner?

Tonight I had:

Mung beans tossed in butter, salt, and pepper. Mung beans. Yea not ideal.

Frozen corn, made unfrozen in boiling water tossed with butter, salt, and pepper.

A flour tortilla while standing over my desk, looking glossy-eyed at my massive to-do list.

A sprig of parsley. I dunno. Because it was green and there on the counter.

Water from my water bottle followed by a hearty slug of bourbon, poured over tiny ice cubes.

Im also really bad at re-filling the ice tray. Future husband, Im sorry. I love you. I hope you hate ice.

And, for dessert, a frozen chocolate cupcake. Im about 7 seconds away from going to grab another cupcake from the freezer. Believe that.

This is what I eat when left to my own devices. Clearly, I should not be left alone. Im not sure how much longer I can survive like this Im a complete weirdo. Someone hold my hand and make me cook you dinner thats the only way I eat like a regular person.

IMG_3782

These avocados? See how nicely sliced they are? This is the sign that Im cooking for others, and not just standing in my kitchen eating tortillas.

IMG_3788

I like fruit in my salad. I especially like citrus. I super especially like citrus if its sliced all fancy! like.

IMG_3790

Segmented. Totally classy, right?

Oranges are easy to segment. Once the peel is stripped, you just have to slice in between the natural orange segment markers/ skin bits/ pith marks what the word Im looking for?

IMG_3799

I made dressing too!

The dressing is inspired by my favorite mason jar/ good olive oil/ fresh cracked pepper/ and Tracys mom.

If I ever will and award and have to stand on a stage and say words (which will totally never happen, so rest easy) Ill probably speak in slash marks. Does that even make sense? No nevermind.

IMG_3805

Salad dressing. Shaken. Its cathartic. Cats pay no attention.

But wait! Are my hands starting to look suspiciously 30 years old? Dont answer that. (Yea they kinda are) ((Dont agree with that thanks)).

This salad is simple, bright, and completely adaptable. Try grapefruit instead of orange segments. Peaches? Yes. Strawberries? Ok!

Arugula instead of Romaine? Do that? Did you say spinach? I like the way you think.

Its salad. No biggie. Make it your own then serve it to others.

photo

Id also like to distra! ct you w ith the crazy delicious bread I made to go along with this salad. It has strawberries on it, and I cant wait to tell you about it on Wednesday.

Look at this spread! Wine and bourbon and bread and such.

Avocado Orange Salad

serves 4 to 6 people

inspired by Shutterbean and yummy salady things

Print this Recipe!

For the Salad:

1 large head of Romaine lettuce

1 Navel orange, segmented

2 ripe avocados, sliced

a handful of fresh, chopped flat leaf parsley is also nice

For the Dressing:

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

3 tablespoons fresh orange juice

1 small garlic clove, finely minced

2 teaspoons honey

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 egg yolk (if you dont want to use a raw egg, 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt is great!)

1/2 cup olive oil

salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste

To prepare the salad:

Coarsely dice and rinse the Romaine lettuce. Place in a large platter. Segment the orange by first slicing off about 1/2-inch of the bottom and top. Slice down the sides of the orange, cutting through all of the pith to reveal the orange flesh. At an angle, slice in between the natural orange segments. A clean orange slice should pop out. Easy! Halve and slice or dice the avocado. Sprinkle oranges segments and avocado slices over the lettuce.

To prepare the dressing:

Combine all ingredients except the olive oil, salt, and pepper in a jar with a sealing lid. Tighten the lid and give the ingredients a good shake. Remove the lid and add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Replace the lid and shake until dressing is well blended and emulsified. Drizzle over salad. Dressing will last, sealed in the refrigerator, for 3 or 4 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment