Strawberry Pineapple Crumble

IMG_2023

.Sigh

Its a good thing youre not here. You. You specifically. Its a good thing youre not here right now.

If you were here, youd be witness to some truly horrific sweatpants choices. Youd have to see my raccoon face, from furiously rubbing my eyes with mascara on. I just yelled at my cat you would have seen that. I threw a pillow at him. A small pillow. He ran. You would have seen that too. I have bras all over my bed. My desk could use some work. I dont really want to talk about the state of my shower. Its a good thing youre not here.

Id have a hard time telling you all the things I tell you if you were actually sitting here in front of my face. Sure, theres the stuff about how I want to turn my cat into a spider hunting helicopterthats easy. Im talking about the other stuff. When I write dorky letters to my future husband. When I freak out about turning a year older. When I date people. When I stop dating people. When I wrestle with Lent and sacrifice and openness and vulnerability. Id have a hard time sharing all that if you were here in front of my face with all your eye contact. That would freak me out a little.

But you are here. Just the there sort of here, and Im so thankful for it.

Someone needs to know when Im happy and sad and scared and freaked out and coupled and dumped and hungry and such. Im glad its you. Even though I mostly dont know you Im still glad its you.

Ok enough with all the eye contact.

Can we talk about dessert now?

IMG_1974

IMG_1978

We all know what a strawberry crumble tastes like.

Yadda yadda yadda. Baked strawberries, oats, sugar you know.

IMG_1985

Let me tell you adding fresh pineapple is such a good idea. Baked strawberries and pineapple are a perfect combination of sweet and tart. A little wacky. A little tropical. A little like doing yoga then drinking fruity martinis. Wait does that make sense? It does in my head.

IMG_2026

Baked fruit. Oat, butter, and sugar topping. Ice cream is mandatory. Someone to share it with is either a luxury or a curse. Im not sure which.

Im glad youre here. Believe that.

Recipe inspired by The Sophisticated Gourmet

Makes one 8-inch baking dish

Print this Recipe!

Strawberry Pineapple Crumble

Ingredients

  • 1 pound strawberries, hulled and cut in half
  • 1 pound peeled and diced fresh pineapple
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cornst! arch
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
  • 1 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

Cooking Directions

  • Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Toss diced fruit together in an 8-inch square baking dish. In a small dish, whisk together 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, 1/4 cup of flour and pinch of salt. Toss the mixture with the diced fruit. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the cold butter cubes. Use your fingers to break up the cold butter cubes into the flour mixture. Add the oats and toss together until the butter bits are about the size of the oat flakes.
  • Pour the oat mixture over the prepared fruit. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until juices from the fruit bubble up around the sides of the pan.
  • Remove the crumble from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Crumble is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream.
  • Crumble can we wrapped and refrigerated for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or wrapped in foil in a low oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment