Review: Breakfast @ Hardware Societe, Hardware St, Melbourne CBD

Few months ago, I've been to Hardware Societe for lunch thinking that I can get breakfast food for lunch. Although I was happy with my lunch, I had this strange itch to return to Hardware Societe for breakfast.

We were one of the first customers at Hardware Societe, as usual. We are always the first to arrive because our grumbling tummies do not allow us to wait too long. Breakfast is always a 7am affair, lunch must be served at 1pm, the latest, and dinner must finish at 6pm. Any later, we'll all collapse and god knows what.

Breakfast at Hardware Societe, in my opinion, is superior over Cumulus INC's. First, there are more options. I was so spoilt for choice that it took me a good 10 minutes to decide what to order.

Coddled eggs and 3 soldiers: 15 AUD
Soldier 1 - Pesto and Tomatoes
Soldier 2 - Duck confit with microherbs
Soldier 3 - Smoked fishMy sister ended up with coddled eggs for none of us had that before and I ended up with fried brioche just because I can. I hadn't been eating too well lately and there's nothing that my teeth will take. I can't even enjoy my sister's coddled eggs properly because it comes with 3 compulsory baguette slices topped with the herby pesto, their famous duck confit and smoked fish.

According to her, each topping has different degrees of saltiness. The pesto and smoked fish is still manageable but the confit was a little too much. I managed up to the confit and I agree with her. One have to dip the bread into the eggs to neutralize the extreme taste. Thank god for eggs!

Having said that, the eggs were really good. They were golden and perfect.



Someone is delighted
Yet, I gave up the eggs midway and returned it to her (my teeth says no!). The feeling is mutual because she did not particularly enjoy my brioche. She complains about its sweetness while I feel that it's tolerable for Melbourne's standards. May be bland for many because I'm popular for my hyper-sensitive taste buds but it seems that I've found my competitor, which is none other than my sister.


Fried Brioche - Pistachio Creme Anglaise, Pistachio bits, Caramelized Pineapple,
BriocheMy fried brioche is very fulfilling. I loved it a lot. That's probably because I haven't had something similar to a french toast for a very long time!As I was savoring bit after bit of brioche, I imagined how a slice of naked brioche was dipped into a golden liquid of beaten eggs that is seasoned with a pinch of salt. I envisioned the melodious sizzling as it was lain onto a hot pan coated with molten butter. The brioche, like a sponge, soaks up the butter in no time. Before it is done, honey is brushed onto the bread, ensuring that a beautiful caramelized crust is form. Cinnamon powder rains from the sprinkler onto the bread.Cooked pineapples are gently placed on the top of the fluffy brioche. To add that unique twist, some pistachio creme anglaise and pistachio bits....

Alas, this heavenly treat was born! So heavenly that it exorcized my cravings in one go. I don't think I'll be tempted by any sinful sweets for the next few days.


Prune, Chocolate and Pedro Ximenez macaron (2.80 AUD)My sister had the macaron for desserts. She loves how chocolatey it was but did not like the fact that it was slightly too sweet. Indeed, it numbed my teeth. It was surprising how I was able to accept the brioche but responded badly to the macaron. Texture wise, it was slightly on the chewy side and it not break into a million pieces when bitten into. For me, this is a good sign. In my opinion, the prune was very subtle. My sister was unable to taste the prune though.


Flat White (3 AUD)I love the flat white here! It's not too strong and it comes with a cute donut sprinkled with cinnamon sugar! The coffee tastes even better when the donut is dumped into it. :) Oh, eating the donut on its own is a bad idea, by the way. It numbed my teeth when I tried to do that.





Compared to Cumulus INC, I prefer having breakfast here. There are more choices to start with and the coffee is not too strong. I used to like my coffee as strong as it could be but I feel that it defeats the purp! ose of e njoying a cuppa. If I were to rate my breakfast, I would say 8 out of 10.



Little things:

-Cuisine: Cafe

-Ambiance: Unique - keeps your eyes wandering

-Service: Very friendly and prompt.

-Portion: Reasonable. If you are a tiny eater, portions are large.

-Budget: Damage done was 38.50 AUD. Breakfast items at Hardware Societe may be pricer than Cumulus INC but I have to say, I prefer having my breakfast here.

The Hardware Societe on Urbanspoon


For other breakfast reviews:

-Cumulus INC

To read about my previous visit at Hardware Societe (lunch): Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment