Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese Sandwich

IMG_4499

There are a lot of things I cant figure out. Read: There are a lot of things I havent taken the time to figure out.

I cant figure out dry-cleaning. I think it has something to do with folding clothes perfectly then covering them in plastic.

I cant figure out why people enjoy karaoke so much when its so clearly just the singing version of public speaking which makes is SO MUCH WORSE YOU GUYS!

I cant figure out why saying yes is easier than saying no. Actually I have figured that out. The face of disappointment is terrifying.

I cant figure out why Taylor Swifts We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together is sooooo dang singable. Help me.

There are a lot of things I CAN figure out namely: Shrimp and Grits and Potato Chip Sandwiches.

And while I still may stumble on the grammatical difference between laying and lying I know that at least at the very least, I can make an AMAZING (seriously) spicy grilled cheese sandwich. The rest I can Google. Amen.

IMG_4415

I feel like I dont need to tell you how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. You know whats up.

You may not know that the addition of cream cheese and roasted jalapeno elevate this sandwich to heavenly levels.

pepper jack grilled cheese

Lets talk about these dang jalapenos. We cant just buy them from the store and go slicing them willy-nilly.

They need to be charred and have their skins removed. I do this over my gas burner.

pepper jack grilled cheese

The pepper is blistered and charred over an open flame. The broiler also works well for this treatment.

Ultimately, we want the whole pepper charred.

pepper jack grilled cheese

After the peppers are charred, they need to be steamed. I steamed my peppers in a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Just place the hot peppers in a regular old pot. No flame under the pot necessary. This will help loosen the skins. Its pepper skin science.

pepper jack grilled cheese

Peppers are peeled. I used the business-end of a knife to remove the skins . The less pepper spice we get on our hands the better. It stings.

pepper jack grilled cheese

Peeled peppers are sliced open and seeds are removed (ag! ain with a knife). Much of the unbearable heat of jalapeno peppers is in the seed.

IMG_4426

After a coarse chopping of the charred, peeled, and de-seeded peppers we can get down to sandwich glory.

IMG_4446

Lets use two different kinds of cheese for these sandwiches: cream cheese and Monterey Jack. Lets take inspiration from Jalapeno Poppers and just go for it!

IMG_4458

Sandwiches are slathered lightly in butter, smeared with softened cream cheese, topped with roasted peppers, and then sprinkled with Monterey Jack cheese.

I really feel like I need to apologize. Its just too good. Gosh.

IMG_4466

Sandwiches are ready for a hot pan. I prepared these sandwiches in a square oven pan just so that I could transfer them to a hot skillet. Lets melt these!

IMG_4510

Creamy. Melty. Spicy. Beyond everythi! ng you t hought you knew about grilled cheese sandwiches.

I paired these with Bread and Butter Pickles and a Cola.

Its like a special occasion for my belly.

pepper jack grilled cheese

I take my food pictures in a super glamorous location right by my front door.

This is real life. Laundry detergent on the bookshelf.

pepper jack grilled cheese

This is also real life. Medium warm though pleasantly spicy grilled cheese sandwiches. On the couch. With a soda and pickles. And a cat thats watching, waiting, and begging.

Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

makes 2 sandwiches

Print this Recipe!

5 jalapeno peppers

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

4 slices bread

Lets first work with the jalapenos. Char jalapeno skins by placing them over a low open flame, and rotating them until blackened all around. You can also place jalapenos under the broiler and toast until blackened on all sides. Remove from the flame (or oven), and allow the peppers to steam. I placed my hot and blackened peppers in a small pot with the lid on. You can also loosely wrap the peppers in foil. After peppers have steamed for about 10 minutes, place on a clean work surface. Use the sharp edge of a knife to scrape the skin off the peppers. Once clean of skin, slice off the top, cup dow the center vertically, and! use the knife to scrape out the seeds. Coarsely chop and set aside.

I use a knife to peel and de-seed the jalapenos. Its best to touch the peppers as little as possible, or wear plastic gloves. http://joythebaker.com/2011/10/grilled-ham-cheese-pickle-and-potato-chip-sandwich/

Butter one side of each slice of bread. Flip the bread so the butter is facing down. Spread half of the cream cheese on two slices of the bread. Sprinkle diced jalapenos atop the cream cheese. Divide the shredded cheese atop the jalapenos and cream cheese. Top with remaining bread slice, butter side up.

Grill sandwiches in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Flip and cook until golden brown on each side. Slice in half and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment