Notes to Self: Part Five

My Notes 1, page 49

so continues the series on Joy the Baker. I make notes to myself. How to live. How not to live and how its ok if I burn the cookies.

YOURE STILL SPEAKING IN SEX AND THE CITY. Yes, its a television show, but its also a language and yes, its weird that youre speaking it.

Youd think youd be past all of this, Joy. You saw Sex in the City 2. You cried public tears of shame (well except for the part when those baller Abu Dhabi ladies revealed all their gems and Gucci). You know that the Sex and The City revolution is over. Why why why are you still speaking in Carries and Charlottes?

Ill tell you why. (This is the part where I switch from yous to Is.) In an interview last month I was asked if Id choose Big or Aidan. It seriously took me a solid 45 seconds to figure out what they were talking about and then I thought REALLY!? Define myself by choosing between two perfectly archetypal men from a ten year old television show!? Good grief its not over. But see Im sometimes guilty of using the same Sex and the City language.

Lets just lay it all out there. Am I a Carrie or a Charlotte?

Am I a Carrie or a Charlotte? Am I a Samantha or is that character only reserved for Halloween night when every character gets a sexy makeover? Lets play the game. Ill tell you now that I might be the only girl in the world willing to admit shes a Miranda. Yes. Im worried that Im going to choke on Chinese food living alone in my apartment, I overfeed my cat so he wont eat me, and I pour dish soap on cake in the trash bin (and then I take the trash bin out to the curb for immediate morning pickup). I love my work. I look a little clunky when I walk in heels. Ill sass you with sarcasm at the brunch table. And Ill tot! ally rol l my eyes if you tell me one more time youve gotten back together with Mr. Big.

Mr. Big or Aidan? I choose Steve. Yea what does that tell you about my life choices and my shoe closet? Theres something about a raspy voice, a Catholic mother, and major Dad skills that really appeals to me. Lets wear flats and move to Brooklyn, Steve! Ps Its entirely possible that Aiden is the right answer because of the dog, muscular arms, and furniture making skills. Mr. Big is not the right answer I could clearly just call a car service and save my heart the grief.

Miranda, you workaholic you youre my girl.

In real-life Joy the Baker Sex and the City (aka Joy Went To New York This Summer), I got splashed my a NYC Taxi in July and I did not feel the least bit sexy. I almost cried, then I remembered that youre not allowed to cry on the streets of New York because youll look lost and clich. So I didnt. To be fair it was only on the legs and I wasnt wearing a white tutu.

Sex and the City isnt real. Were adults. We know its not real. Besides, Carrie would never survive in the blog world with just one column a week and an expensive shoe closet and Manhattan apartment to maintain. Our rational brains know this is impossible, yet we still insist of ragging on the first pear-shaped engagement ring Aidan got Carrie (what is wrong with us!?). On the other hand HBOs Girls is real. too.real which means we kind of have a problem (and we need to order a pizza to solve it).

Part Four: Everyone

Part Three: Switch

Part Two: Youre Allowed

Part One: Be Bold

Things I learned you could Google in the writing of this nonsense: Aidan engagement ring. Its weird because hes not real


No comments:

Post a Comment