Dark Chocolate, Pistachio & Smoked Sea Salt Cookies

IMG_2334

I was going to start this post by saying please please dont hug my back fat. Theres this area on my back that you have no business squeezing, sir. That side hug and subsequent finger clench was awkward for both of us but that seemed like an pretty tense way to kick things off around here.

I was going to talk about how Im listening to entirely too much hip hop lately because all I can think about is champagne,VIP, and all the ladies that love me. If feels like talking about hip hop is like talking about Fight Club. Not ok. Plus just saying the words hip hop make me feel like a grandma wearing her baseball cap backwards.

Ok Next! What should we discuss?

YOLO? Is it too late to talk about that? if you have to ask. yes.

Should I write about how sometimes I think my blog would be more popular if I were engaged or pregnant? Should I write about how that thought makes me want to run full throttle into a wall? Probably not. Thats a little hot-button for these parts.

Should I write about how Pinterest sometimes stresses me Oh nevermind!

Lets just cookie.

IMG_2102

We really should make Chocolate Chip Cookies more often. Its exactly 87 times more awesome than annoying. Lets think of Chocolate Chip Cookies as edible air fresheners.

IMG_2107< /a>

Creamed butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. A luscious and very familiar scene.

Flour, salt, and baking soda are next. Its simple, really.

IMG_2116

Dark chocolate chunks are mandatory.

Salted pistachios are a luxury.

Some of the nuts are finely diced (almost into a powder), other pistachio chunks will be a bit more coarse. The nuts are actually important. They help support the structure of the cookie.

IMG_2135

Toss all of the ingredients together and will yourself not to sit down on the couch with a spoon and raw cookie dough.

IMG_2152

Unbaked cookies are generously sprinkled with Smoked Sea Salt.

I love pairing salt with sweets. It really cuts through the sugar and makes amplifies the flavors of chocolate and brown sugar. The smoked nature of the salt is just an added summer cookout bonus.

Also. Total side note. Im completely obsessed with this Burning Leaves Perfume from I Hate Perfume. OBSESSED but I havent made the splurge yet. No one buy it before I do. K. Thanks. Im (mostly) kidding.

IMG_2206

These cookies bake low and slow, at 300 degrees F for almost 20 minutes. Its a slow road to golden.

IMG_2358

These cookies are everything they should be: studded with dark chocolate, flavored with pistachios, and salty like whaaat? The smoked salt adds an extra layer of fancy. It feels like campfire meets fine-dining meets ooh my gosh I ate all the cookies.

This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen whom I love and respect and whose Zucchini Rice Gratin I want to make immediately.

Dark Chocolate, Pistachio & Hickory Sea Salt Cookies

adapted from Smitten Kitchen

makes about 24 cookies

Print this Recipe!

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips

1 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped

smoked salt for topping

Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars together until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and beat in for about 1 minute. Add! vanilla extract and beat to incorporate.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the mixture all at once to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed until just incorporated. Finally mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Dollop or scoop cookie dough by the 2 tablespoonful onto prepared baking tins. Leave about 2 inches of room between each cookie. Sprinkle generously with smoked sea salt.

Bake cookies for 18 minutes, or until just golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will last, well wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days as if theyll last that long.


No comments:

Post a Comment