Baking Classes

7013a_397x600

Banana cake with cream cheese peanut butter frosting.

After years of procrastination and excuses, I will finally do what I've been asked by people many times: conduct baking and cooking classes. I've had offers to supply cakes to restaurants, develop new breads for a bakery and teach cake making in a baking school but after much thought, I've decided that I prefer to work for myself at my own pace.

In recent years, big baking schools have mushroomed in Kota Kinabalu. These schools are efficient and business-oriented, teaching large classes in minimal hours. The cakes are commercialized, with many recipes based on ready mixes and additives promoted by baking ingredients companies. I am in no way able to compete with big baking schools nor do I want to compete with them anyway. I believe in the old-fashioned butter, eggs, vanilla and flour kind of cakes,homey and tasty, with as little or no additives as possible.I took my first baking class 23 years ago because I wanted to feed my family delicious cakes made with quality ingredients (that and the fact that I was having a difficult pregnancy and unable to play badminton), and I believethat there are many people like me who stubbornly refuse to feed their family anything less than the finest.

Classes will be small and will be held in a cosy place, not in a shoplot in some busy area of the city. The kitchen will be ready in September but I am planning two tea parties in August where you are welcome to a high tea and a demo class. Just leave a comment on this post with your contact, and you will be invited if you are within the first 30 people to write in. If you feel uncomfortable leaving your contact in the comment, do email me. However, to be fair to everybod! y, you s till have to leave a comment with your name.

I am nervous about posting this but this is it. It's high time I get off my butt and do something I enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment