Peko Peko @ South Melbourne

Peko Peko to me is one of those places where we can get a fuss-free quick and cheap dinner. Well almost fuss-free. Unlike most places in my book that do belong to that category, Peko Peko requires you to call them up in advance just to make sure there's a table waiting for you because they are always packed (or close to packed). Once you are seated though, the affair is pretty straight forward. Choose one item from the bountiful list of dishes you can order from, wait a little while, eat up, pay a very reasonable $15-20 per pax and off you go.


Feeling a little peckish and want a starter on top of your main course? Try the taiwanese sausage.


IMG_2405

Slightly sweet and spiced, this was rather lean compared to the ones we have had in Taiwan or the ones you get in the supermarket.


IMG_2407


The beef noodles comes with a light herbal broth that anyone would be happy with especially during cold winter nights. I can't really say the same about the beef though for it was rather forgettable.

IMG_2452




IMG_2455

While I preferred the broth used in the beef noodle, I loved how generous the battered pork chop was in this dish. The batter and the taste reminds me of the night markets of Taipei where freshly battered chicken chops are sold by the hundreds if not thousands each night.


IMG_2457

IMG_2400

Apart from noodles, Peko Peko serves a mean bento box. Alongside two small random side dishes, you get to choose the main dish from a list of 20 over items (I think). The pop corn chicken is recommended, a classic and done similarly to the battered pork chop. The only problem I had is how dry it was trying to eat fried chicken with plain white rice (then again, I love gravy / sauce with white rice).

The honey beef comes with a sweet glaze gets a little sweet as you reach the last few pieces but great to eat alongside the rice.

So if you happen to stay in the South Melbourne / St Kilda Road area, this is a small brilliant place for a weekday dinner (although I will regret saying this if I have to wait for a table the next time I visit).

Address and con! tact det ails:

Peko Peko on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 4 stars out of 5 stars. For what it is, simple satisfying dishes for a weekday dinner, this place is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment