Nancy Chong Butter Cakes @ Ipoh, Perak

IMG_0178

Warning! There is a buttery sheen over the blog...as we hit up north for the quest of the best butter cake.


A good friend of mine, Su had kindly got her mother to bring back these legends down to the big city.


One has heard of the stories about this cake. More like urban legends such as how people can just eat through 2kg cake by themselves. Seems it is no myth as my friend Su tells me her parents can happily demolish a 1kg cake between the two of them.


8e87a60f-2ad7-44f0-a59c-904f2c756eac


One taste of the buttery sweetness and I can understand why.


The taste seems to remind me of my childhood days with its sweet taste and soft creamy buttery goodness.


Seems Mrs. Chong only believes in SCS butter that she ladles all over the crumbly cakes and the icing.


Everything about the cake reminds me of the 1970s when cakes like these were in vogue for birthdays. My mother was one of the faithful brigade of cooks who joined hands with famous teachers like Mrs. Fernandes to learn how to pipe roses like these.


Ah, those were the good old days.


IMG_0176


In a way, I'm glad Mrs. Chong is far away in Ipoh so ordering these cakes are not possible all the time.


If it was, I'll be in a perpetual sugar high...


Nancy Cakes
23, Lebuh Lasam
Ipoh


Tel: 05-2544384/012-5277536


(You can also email orders lizang@streamyx.com The 1kg cakes are priced at RM50-RM55. We sampled the marble butter cake and almond one. Loved the almond version with bits of almond flakes. Best to call and order ahead. Nowadays, Mrs. Chong's daughter continues her legacy to make the cakes. For the full set of pictures, see my Flickr set).


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment