bacon, egg and leek risotto

bacon, egg and leek risotto

Seeing as I once argued that rice pudding should be breakfast food (what? grains, milk, a bit of sugar, sometimes berries just like oatmeal!) it shouldnt be any surprise that Im now wondering if risotto could also be welcome in the earliest parts of the day. I mean, what if contained bacon and eggs? What if I warned you that if you start making risotto with leeks and bacon and finish it with a fried egg that you might not be able to go back to eating it another way? You cant say I didnt give you a heads-up.

leeks, still gritty
cooking, not crisping, the pancetta

I got the inspiration for breakfast risotto from an article I saw a few months back. Okay, it was many months. And every time I was about to make it, I found something better to do. Like, flossing. Or chasing my toddler around the apartment with a comb, trying to explain that he would one day thank me for not letting him leave the house looking like an unkempt Muppet. (Obviously, it didnt work.) Eventually I had to admit that risotto, while lovely to eat when someone else makes it, is hardly my favorite way to dirty pots and pans. Its the stirring, and also the starchiness; its the sleepiness of the usual inclusions (maybe mushrooms, ! asparagu s and other delicately-minded green things), and that always requires that you make something else (a salad, or maybe some protein) that will make it seem more of a balanced meal. Risotto: Its awfully demanding.

prep: pancetta, leeks, rice, cheese

... Read the rest of bacon, egg and leek risotto on smittenkitchen.com

smitten kitchen 2006-2012. |permalink to bacon, egg and leek risotto | 3 comments to date | see more: Breakfast, Eggs, Grain/Rice, Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment