I baked: Delia Smith's American Brownies

Before we moved into our house, I kitted the kitchen with a nice oven so that I could bake lots of nice things for my family. Unfortunately, laziness and lack of time prevented me from baking as much as I would have liked.

This morning, I woke up and decided to make a nice treat for my children since it is Easter week.Chocolate brownies is something relatively easy to make and a huge hit with the whole family.

Today, I only had 1 hour to prep and bake it in between chores and picking my daughter up from school. Usually, I use Jamie Oliver's recipebut today I decided to try Delia Smith's recipe instead to compare and contrast the result. It turned out really well (hooray!), I would say that these brownies are less "oily" (we find Jamie's one can sometimes leave butter residue on our fingers after eating) and still fudgy in the centre. Certainly feels much healthier. ;)

Baby C came home from school and squealed in delight when she saw what mummy had in store for her. Happy child equals a happy mummy.

Moist, chewy and chocolatey



Wish I had some bunnies that I could top my brownies with so that I could have a Happy Easter brownie


American Brownies
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes 15

Ingredients
110g butter
50g unsweetened chocolate (I use Hershey's)
2 eggs, beaten
225g granulated sugar
50g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
110g chopped nuts - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, Brazil or a mixture (I omitted this since Hubby doesn't like nuts in his brownies)

1. Preheat oven to 180C.

2. Line a baking tin measuring 7 x 11 inches (18x28cm) with greaseproof paper. Bring the paper up a good 2 inches above the rim of the tin.

3. Melt the butter and the chocolate (broken up into small pieces) together in the top of a double saucepan.

4. Once melted, remove from heat and stir all the other ingredients into the butter and chocolate mixture thoroughly, and then pour into the lined tin.

5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the mixture shows signs of shrinking away from the side of the tin and the centre feels springy. A knife inserted in the centre should come out cleanly (but do not overcook).

6. Leave the brownies to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before dividing into approximately 15 squares and transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.








No comments:

Post a Comment