Gluten-free Lunch Waffles with apples and prosciutto

IMG_5672

I want waffles all the time. In my dreams, I replace all of the bread in my life with warm waffles. Waffles with peanut butter and jelly. Waffles with ham and cheese. Waffles with ice cream and hot fudge.

Perhaps this is just a phase equal to my cargo pants and cropped jean jacket phase.

Actually wait I still maintain that I looked great in those cargo pants. I wish someone would have told me not to actually carry cargo in my pockets though. No one needs the bulk of a lady wallet and lipstick added to their thighs. Fashion pockets, Joy. Fashion pockets.

So waffles! Consider them delicious, freshly-made bread and act accordingly. Prosciutto, spinach, and tart apples slices are a wonderful place to start: open-face sandwich style.

IMG_5564

Lets start with polenta.

Its as good a place as any to start.

Polenta is coarsely ground cornmeal. You might call them grits same thing!

IMG_5570

Polenta gets cooked up. Butter is whisked in.

What could go wrong here? Exactly nothing.

IMG_5575

Whisking cold b! utter in to warm polenta is 100% satisfying.

Creamy and smooth.

IMG_5581

Next, cold milk is added to the buttered polenta.

and this is totally going to turn into waffles. I promise!

IMG_5592

Now about the dry ingredients.

These are gluten-free waffles, so I used an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix.

My absolutely favorite gluten-free flour mix is Cup4Cup.

IMG_5604

Just about everything is made better with cheese and fresh herbs.

In this case, were talking Gruyere and coarsely chopped parsley.

You might also consider cheddar cheese and chives that would be a great move!

IMG_5615

Creamy polenta mixed with gluten-free flour and spices.

IMG_5625

After about a minute of combining the wet and dry ingredients, the mixture thickens substantially.

Fold in th! e cheese and herbs, and youll have a batter so thick it dollops instead of pours.

This will create the most wonderful soft, but crisp waffles.

IMG_5633

Toppings!

Where are you going with your savory waffles?

For these lunch waffles I chose mustard, thin apple slices, and prosciutto.

gf waffles

I dont aim to coat my entire waffle pan with batter. I have a large square waffle iron and dollop about 1/4 cup of batter into each waffle section. Pressed down the waffles bake up into round-ish individual waffles.

IMG_5654

These waffle are the perfect open-face sandwich vehicle. The outside is golden and crisp. The inside of the waffle is just melting with creamy polenta and cheese goodness. Its the best of both worlds. Crisp and Cream.

This recipe comes from Lena Kwak of The French Laundry. We spent an afternoon cooking together in the French Laundry test kitchen. She made a variation of these waffles I stumbled through making a Gluten-free Quiche. Theres an awesome video aallll about it! Lena developed the gluten-free flour Cup4Cup that I used in these waffles. Its my absolute favorite and now the flour is a staple in my kitchen pantry.

If youre not gluten-free, you should try these! sexy Cornmeal Waffles also completely delicious.

You dont have a waffle iron? I understand. Will this batter work to fry up pancakes? Well the batter is very thick and studded with lots of cheese. While it is an ultra lovely waffle batter, I dont find this to be the ideal pancake situation. Ill be in the kitchen making gluten-free pancakes just for you soon!

Gluten-free Waffles with Cornmeal and Gruyere

makes about 12 small waffles

recipe adapted from Lena Kwak, The French Laundry

Print this Recipe!

1 cup water

1/2 cup dried polenta or grits

1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into large cubes

1 cup milk

1 cup Cup4Cup all-purpose gluten-free flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

pinch of cayenne pepper

1 large egg

3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese

3 tablespoons chopped parsley or chives

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add polenta and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter cubes. Stir until butter is melted. Add cold milk and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, and cayenne.

Pour the cooled polenta mixture over the dry ingredients. Add egg and whisk until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated. Add the cheese and herbs. Fold to combine. Waffle batter will be thick. Thats perfect.

Cook waffles according to waffle machine instructions. I dolloped about 1/4 cup of batter into each section of my large waffle iron. Serve warm with fried egg and prosciu! tto.

Waffles can also be wrapped individually, frozen, thawed slightly, and reheated in a toaster for quick lunch or breakfast situations.


No comments:

Post a Comment