Hung Vuong @ Footscray, Melbourne

Call me a snob but when my friend suggested that we should give Footscray market a go for groceries, in my mind I was like "Are you kidding me?"


For those who don't live in Melbourne, Footscray is traditionally a Vietnamese area and in no better word for it, a dodgy suburb. Some bits of the town reminds me of Fortitude Valley in Brisbane, an area that my friend had asked me to avoid at all cost when it came to finding accommodation. I think you get the gist.


However, since the Wife hadn't started her job yet and we were on budget, we thought why not, just to save a couple of dollars.


Turns out it wasn't just a couple of dollars but much more! Look past the wet market and the amount of people walking back and forth, we realised prices were at least 30% cheaper for your chicken, pork and fish. So far, my peasant palate doesn't seem to note the difference but this week we bought some steak and I will report if there is any difference (since I am a bit iffy about my steak).


After shopping, we looked around for food and in a Vietnamese town, you can't look past Pho (I have been teased for pronouncing it as "Fo" instead of "Fer"). Hung Vuong was the first shop we saw and since it looked pretty clean and had a crowd in there, we thought how bad could it be?

IMG_2084-001

IMG_2081-001

Turns out be not too shabby and pretty good even though the stock was a littl! e sweet but nothing that fish sauce can't fix. Portions were a bit small, although yes, I did order a small but in my defence, a small portion in Brisbane is much more generous and filling.

I am no Pho expert but if we find ourselves hungry after some grocery shopping, this seems like a logic spot to fill our tummies for AUD 8 a bowl (well maybe AUD 9 because I am going to size up).

Address and contact details:

Hung Vuong on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. Till I find a better place for Pho, this will be the place for a quick fix if I am in the area, dodgy or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment