Budgeting and redeeming books from Borders with BCard points

Well as you may have know, the next thing I spend most on besides food (and dog food), are books, cookbooks to be more specific. I much prefer going to Borders as their selection is quite vast, second from Kinokuniya (its in KLCC and way too far for me) So I either buy online, or from Borders. And u know, sometimes its quite hard to keep a record or budget yourself on the amount you spend on books. It is, not a necessity, after all and you dont wanna be spending 1/2 of your monthly just on books.

So there, Ive found a way, with BCard (well, applies to buying from Borders, that is). So what is Bcard ? It is apremier lifestyle and brand-focused reward programme which allows members to collect points and redeem them at participating outlets. There are noannual fees. You can collect BPoints for every purchase and redemption.1 BPoint is equivalent in value to 1 sen (100 BPoints = RM1). You can preload your card as well with say RM 200/month as a budget allocated for books, and that way, you can track and not overspend. Kill 2 birds with 1 Bcard, you can set a budget for your books and collect points along the way. It may redeem you a starbucks frap or a meal at Wendys :)

So Ive got got this preloaded BCard worth 10,000 points, which is equivalent to RM 100. As with the usual me, since Borders is listed as one of the BCard merchant, thats my first choice of place to go.

Ive been wanting to get Julia Childs Mastering the Art of French Cooking for the longest time. But I just never got around to doing it.

There are 2 volumes to this title, and well, I wanted to get both at the same time.

Each book is RM 71.50, thus both would be RM 143.80 right? No. Haha. See, one of the book had a very visible tear ? at the last page. I asked the customer service attendant if there are anymore new books or would they be ordering any after this? No and no!! BUT he said that I can ask for a discount, say about 20-30% ?

Well, if its not torn INSIDE, its good for me. So then I went over to the cashier and asked.

This is the FIRST time ever, that Ive seen a cashier utter more words than just the total price of the items, and the usual greetings. Well because he had to consult his supervisor for permission of discounts, there were some awkward moments of silence in between. So then the conversation went like this

So did u know these series of book actually inspired someone, then to write a book and it became a movie?

Yeah.. Julie & Julia right?

Yeah! Like how can a cookbook change a persons life so much right?? <Oh well, you bet it does!>

Did u know Julia Child was a spy before she began the whole cooking thing?

WHAT ? spy ? really?

Yeah yeah blablabla went on explaining abt her being a spy Ive seen her youtube videos and mimics JCs voice Haha, how can someone with a voice like that become a spy for xxxxx ?

Maybe its because she had a voice like that, no one would suspect she is a spy.?

Oh and do u also know what Julie Powell, after the whole cook! ing thin g, did?

Yeah, she became a butcher?

Yeah.. theres also a book about it, but its more explicit compared to the first book she written

Oh ok..

. Supervisor came and gave me a discount of 30% for the damaged book.

Oh by the way, Im using the bCard to pay for the books (you need to tell them whether you want to redeem the points in the bcard, orr just for collection so they do it right)

Oh Im not really sure on how to do this, I think my supervisor can help you

Oh ya, I have the Borders membership card, can I get more discounts ? But I forgot to bring the card

Sure just give me your IC no., Ill check it for u

..

why tiba tiba these people so nice?

So in total, my bill came up to just RM 114.40 and I used the bcard to redeem RM 1o0, and paid just RM 14.40 for both of Julia Childs Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Also, the when the bill came, they also rewarded me with 114 points for the purchase.

Sweet. Please excuse me as Im going to make! somebee f bourguignonala Julia Child :)

Now if you would like to own your own BCard, you can apply through the website. It free and there are no annual fees!

Here are other BCard merchant partners.

Dont forget to take part in the Bcard Swipe and Win contest from 2nd January 2012 to 29th February 2012 to win some cool prizes like an all expense trip to London!! Check it out onwww.bcard.com.myfor more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment