Mizu @ New Farm, Brisbane

We are always on the look out for inspiring breakfast places with a menu that goes beyond the poached eggs, bacon and coffee. After complaining (something I am getting quite good at), one of my friends said if we wanted to try a Japanese breakfast instead. Off we went on a Sunday morning, warm and bright to Mizu.


An immediate bonus about this place was that it was near empty when we walked in at 10am. No long queues, no standing outside the sun and no crying stomach.

IMG_1683

Instead of my coffee, we had the green tea latte instead. Done exactly the same way using green tea (powder I suspect). To really appreciate the drink though, I suggest putting a little bit of sugar. The iced version which comes with ice-cream was tempting for a takeaway but luckily a pinch on the leg reminded me that I should be on a diet (of some sorts).

IMG_1685

I was expecting a nice big rustic looking okonomiyaki with the lot although at AUD10, you had to be realistic as to what you would get. What I did get was 2 patties which tasted spot on and a nice smiley face with some salad. Not exactly the item to fill me up for half a day but something for a change.

IMG_1690

IMG_1687

The Bento Box is much more filing and you can see a couple of pickled items used to presumably wake up the sleeping palate. Simple but nice for a change unless eating rice in the morning is not your cup of tea.

Overall, if you are looking for something different and think eating a bento box in the morning might do the trick, Mizu is the place to go. Having tried their food at breakfast which was quite promising, I do want to drop by for a lunch or dinner.

Address and contact details:

Mizu on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. Japanese breakfast, how cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment