homesick texan carnitas

homesick texan carnitas

I am embarrassed by how long it took me to discover carnitas, or little meats that are usually braised then roasted, and are as far I quickly became concerned, the very best thing to pile on a blistered corn tortilla. I had my first one just a couple years ago. I was pregnant at the time and protein-rich foods were ten times as delicious as they normally were so when I became obsessed with having another, and then another, I chalked it up to baby madness. But that kid is now two, and my carnita fixation has gone nowhere. (And no, people, Im not pregnant. In fact, Im pouring whiskey into my coffee as we speak, just like I always do after preschool drop-offs.)

orange and lime juice

The only thing greater than my love for carnitas was my wonderment as to how they were made. I imagined that getting a flavor so complex, and a texture so nuanced somehow fork tender in the center and caramelized to a crunch at the edges was best left to the experts, and so I continued to pay a tremendous markup in a city not known for excellence-on-a-taco because I knew Id never pull it off as well at home. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I learned that one of the most famous recipes for carnitas has but three ingredients: pork, water and salt. Three! I still cant get over it. I tell people about this all of the time vegetarians, even, who nod politely; my husband, who thinks its cool, but perhaps a little less than I do; this old lady on the crosstown bus who heard me talking about them on the p! hone But wait, theres more: not only do you only need three ingredients to make carnitas, the cooking technique is kind of brilliant. The meat braises in the water and salt (this is the tenderizing part) for a few hours and then, once the water cooks off, it fries itself in its own rendered fat (thus creating those addictive crisp ends). Did you just get hungry too?

pork butt/shoulder

... Read the rest of homesick texan carnitas on smittenkitchen.com

smitten kitchen 2006-2011. |permalink to homesick texan carnitas | 32 comments to date | see more: Meat, Photo, Tex-Mex



No comments:

Post a Comment