Roasted Tomato and Caramelized Onion Farro Salad

IMG_6362

I meant to make cake. I meant to make whipped cream. I meant to buy fresh raspberries. I mean to smash the three things together into a large bowl and eat it all and then I made salad.

Dont yell. We can not survive on doughnuts alone.

Let me tell you a little something about me I do this weird thing wherein I eat one thing, all day. Thats not to say that I eat one carrot all day. No. I eat carrots, and only carrots all day. I dont know why I do this. Welcome to crazybrain.

So! A few days ago when I made doughnuts. I ate doughnuts all day. Doughnuts and lime popsicles because I was thirsty. Clearly something is wrong with me.

Desktop151

I tell you all of this because its important you understand that salad is a good thing around these parts. A salad recipe means that Im eating salad all day. My thighs like those days.

Desktop152

Know what make salad tolerable? Doughnuts.

No stop that. Caramelized onions.

Im pretty sure that caramelizing onions with a touch of balsamic vinegar is just like turning onions into candy.

IMG_6267

!

Do yo u know what farro is? Its one of my favorites. Farro is a type of wheat. Its boiled in salted water like pasta, then drained. When cooked its puffed and tender, with a hint of al dente crunch. I love this grain. Hearty, wholesome and delicious.

I found farro is the bulk section at Whole Foods, but you can also order it online here.

Its one of my favorite grains. Its popular in Italy. Lets make it popular here.

Oh! If youre not into farro, why not try Israeli Couscous?

IMG_6326

Secret: roasting cherry tomatoes on the vine makes them instantly more fancy and cool.

It is our mission in life to be fancy and cool. Duh.

IMG_6380

Yummy candy onions, fancy roasted tomatoes, hearty farro and fresh parsley.

Yes, I put parsley in every savory dish I make. Its my thing It makes me feel chef-y. Its like Rachel Ray calling extra virgin olive oil EVOO. Just give me this parsley thing and well call it even.

Oh. Ps. Put fresh grated Parmesan Cheese on this salad. It is a wonderful suggestion from me to you.

Roasted Tomato and Caramalized Onion Farro Salad

serves 4

Print this Recipe!

2 cups cherry tomatoes

1 tablespoon olive oil

3/4 (or a few ! good pin ches) salt

1/2 teaspoon (or a good pinch) crushed red chili flakes

2 medium yellow onions, sliced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon butter

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 cup farro

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place cherry tomatoes on a sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and red chili flakes. Bake for 15 minutes, or until some tomatoes have burst and are golden brown and sizzling. Remove from the onion and set aside to cool slightly.

Place olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced onions and toss to coat in fat. Allow onions to cook down for 5 minutes without stirring. Toss after 5 minutes, then allow to cook without being disturbed for another 5 minutes. Add salt and toss. Onions will begin to brown and break down. Remove from the heat momentarily, keep your nose back, and add balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat all of the onions. Return to heat and allow to cook down to a melty onion consistency. Onions will be browned, broken down and delicious.

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. When water boils, add a pinch of salt. Add farro and stir. Cook farro until it is softened through and has a light al dente bite to it, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain farro in a strainer, return to pot, and toss with olive oil. Add roasted tomatoes, caramalized onions, and chopped parsley. Toss and serve warm.

Farro salad will last up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment