Old Fashioned Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze

IMG_6511

I need to make some decisions. I know welcome to everyday living.

Who do you turn to when its time to make big decisions?

Mama and Dad? Bestest girlfriends? Awesome boyfriends? Husband? Wifey? God? Bottle of beer? Giant stack of doughnuts?

When it comes to making decisions, I make lists and stare at them. I take hot showers and try to figure out my life. I chip my manicure off. I stop blinking.

I ask friends for advice and wait for them to give me the answer I want. Are you guilty of this too!? Be real. Bad habit.

I ask God I listen and then I try to figure out how Im going to hear his answer.

I think. I make more lists. I stare.

IMG_6550

Ive found that tremendous amounts of fried food also help the decision making process. Well they help pass the time during the quiet list making/staring phase of the decision making process.

Do people actually make decisions while running around like maniacs? Is that something that works? Is there a lot of yelling involved? That sounds like chaos. I prefer the sitting, staring, fried food eat, and listening method but really, thats just my own personal crazybrain.

Oh wait! Are you one of those people that makes important decisions while working out?! Ugh. Why cant I be you!?

IM!  G_6395

I probably shouldnt tell you how easy it is to make doughnuts at home.

These are cake doughnuts. Theyre more dense than yeasty doughnuts. The outside has just a bit of crunch.

It all starts with just a bit of flour and sugar.

IMG_6400

Doesnt just about everything here start with flour and sugar and end in a ball?

Yes.

IMG_6407

When you fry this it definitely turns into doughnuts.

Small miracle, right?!

IMG_6420

There are a few things that might keep you from making these doughnuts.

Do you have the fry/candy thermometer? Do you have lots of different circle biscuit cutters?

If not youre totally saving yourself some calories.

IMG_6430

But if you do have these things handy in your kitchen, imagine the calories you can get yourself into!

I like the way you live.

IMG_6446

Crisp, gold! en brown cake doughnuts.

Chocolate ready.

IMG_6448

Monster dipping manhands ready.

IMG_6466

These cake doughnuts dont need that pesky yeast rise time. Theyre crisp, but soft and dense. Theyre doughnuts with chocolate glaze so clearly theyre delicious. How much convincing do you really need?

Should I teach my kitten to speak so he can tell you how much he enjoyed stealing one off the counter and leaving half a kitten eaten doughnut on the floor for me to step in with my bare feet? Would that finally convince you that doughnuts are delicious!? Geez.

Old Fashioned Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze

makes between 6 and 10 doughnuts (I got 8 out of this batch)

adapted slightly from Doughnuts

Print this Recipe!

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg

pinch of salt

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream

1 large egg

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

vegetable oil for frying

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.

In a separate small bowl, whisk together yogurt (or sour cream), egg, and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together until well incorporated. The dough will take some smooshing to gather into a dish. It will be like a! slightl y more moist biscuit dough. Wrap bowl in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 15 minutes.

Place a candy/fry thermometer in a medium saucepan. Pour oil into the pan until it is about 2-inches deep. Heat oil over medium-low heat.

On a lightly floured work surface, roll bough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut doughnuts with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, and cut a hole with a smaller circle cutter.

When oil reaches 360 degrees F, fry 2 or 3 doughnuts at a time for about 1 minute on each side. Doughnuts will be golden brown. Carefully pull out, drain, and let rest on towel paper.

Chocolate Glaze

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

3 tablespoons milk or water

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.

In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Slowly stir in milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until silky and smooth. If you need a touch more milk to make this a dippable glaze, add a bit more.

Dip doughnuts in chocolate glaze and let rest to harden slightly.

Doughnuts are best served the day theyre made. They also freeze just fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment