Lulu and the green peas

Green peas and purple beans

On ira chez Louisa, (Well go to Louisas house) I told Lulu as I was trying to get her ready.

Remove her pajamas. Brush her teeth. Dress.

Such straightforward activities in the day, Ive quickly learned, even if simple, can take a long time. Oh yes they do

I knew I shouldnt make an issue of it. I didnt want to focus my attention on it, reminding myself, as to help, that many of my mum friends also say that It always takes for ever to leave the house in the morning. Our little ones are persons with strong opinions.

But hints like Garden. Louisa. Outside. Soquette the cat. I knew these would work like magic.

Instantly, my words piqued Lulus interest. Jardin ? she repeated, looking excited.

The change happened right there. Lulu removed her pajamas without fuss. She brushed her teeth and agreed to the clothes we chose together. She even let me braid her hair.

She was ready.

So as promised, I drove her to her little friends house, to feed Soquette, sit in the little chairs at the back of the house, and then collect peas, tomatoes, zucchini and beans, since I am looking after my friends garden while they are vacationing in France.

And oh how much fun the two of us had that morning in Louisas garden!

We found beautifully sweet green peas, delicious cherry tomatoes and zucchini enormous in size. And as to th! e beans, I could not get over their dramatic deep purple color.

Lulu started to help with the beans but fairly quickly showed a strong preference for the peas. She was a champion at collecting them.

I found one! shed exclaim every time shed spot a pod. Open it please! shed add.

She was quick at making the peas disappear inside her mouth as soon as we added more in our white colander.

I was smiling while watching the scene. I couldnt help but feel moved as I remembered my mother and I sitting in our garden in France when I was Lulus age. Every summer, wed be sharing the exact same pea activity. I knew I used to be as skilled as Lulu at the eating part.

Tu men laisses pour le dner de ce soir, daccord? (You will leave some for tonights dinner, ok?) I eventually told her.

Oui, she replied casually without stopping to eat. She wasnt listening.

She was enjoying a delicious mid-morning snack moment that I simply could not interrupt.

Im doing it toute seule! (I am doing it on my own!) she added proudly every once in a while, between peas.

It didnt matter if there would not be many peas left. I was already thinking that diner would revolve around the idea of a medley of spring greens.

Since I had fava beans and green asparagus from the market, I would steam them with the peas in a very simple way, and then Id serve the veggies with millet and a vinaigrette with piquant.

Its a! dish Iv e prepared a lot this season. One that I absolutely love for the cheerful hues of green it offers on the plate. For its simplicity and freshness.

So thats what we ate.

Lulu, in particular, was paying attention to the peas. Cest toi qui les a ramasss, (You picked them!) I told her when I served her some on her plate.

That immediately brought a happy look on her face.

She was carefully choosing each pea before bringing it to her mouth. Her engagement in her food showed that she was really enjoying it.

And by watching her and hearing words like I did it maman slip out of her mouth here and there, I knew shed be talking about our morning at Louisas garden again. Shed be telling me about how much fun she had had when she ate the peas, when she tried to catch butterflies and when she petted Soquette the cat.

I knew that she had created a memory around all of these.

Give body to the vinaigrette with mustard, lemon and garlic; and tons of garden flavor with mixed herbs: dill, parsley and basil were the ones I chose.

Serve it with the steamed greens and millet, and ricotta salata and slices of prosciutto on the side.

Humble food that fits perfectly the mood of a hot summer day. And oh so delicious!

On another note, I was really honored this morning to find outthank you Hilda and Keiko for letting me knowthat the English newspaper The Independent chose La Tartine Gourmande as one of their 50 Best Food Wesbites. See the complete list to be inspired!

Millet with steamed spring greens and its lemon vinaigrette
Millet with steamed spring greens and its lemon vinaigrette


For 4 people

You need:

  • 1 cup dry millet
  • 1 cup fava beans
  • 1 cup shelled green peas
  • 16 green long asparagus stems


For the vinaigrette:

  • Sea salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon honey-flavored mustard
  • Juice of 1 large lemon
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon pistachio oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped basil, dill and parsley

Steps:

  • Cook the millet and keep it warm on the side (I use 1 cup dry millet to 3 cups water or light chicken stock, with a pinch of salt).
  • Cook the fava beans in boiling water for 1 minute. Rinse them under cold water. Remove the bean carefully from each pod; set aside.
  • Steam the peas and asparagus stems for only 1 to 2 minutes and rinse them under cold water.
  • In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients in this order: sea salt and pepper, mustard, lemon juice, garlic. Emulsify with the oils.
  • Top the millet with the peas, asparagus and fava beans and serve with the vinaigrette. Add slices of ricotta salata and prosciutto for a more substantial meal.
  • Share and Enjoy:PrintDiggdel.icio.usGoogle BookmarksTwitter


    No comments:

    Post a Comment