Pork Sausage Roll

Just a little short break from the KoreaTrip2011 posts, heres an uber outdated post, probably many months ago when I made the bagels. Just checked on my iPhoto, these were made on March 13, and it is now what? JUNE!! Oh my goodness. It is said that time flies faster than an airplane after turning 25 and goodness gracious, I just turned 26 last week. It all still seem like a blur picture to me. I guess time wont be waiting for me to figure out, thats for sure.

Ok right, so pork sausage roll. Minced sausage / meat + puff pastry = magic. It is nothing too spectacular or posh, just simple homey comfort food.

I adapted the recipe from Trissaliciouss Great Australian Sausage Roll, and used half pork and half lamb instead.

Pork Sausage Roll

  • 250g minced lamb
  • 250g minced pork
  • 40 grams roasted pine nuts
  • 4 eschalots
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 50 grams couscous
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • fresh pepper to taste
  • 150 grams tomato puree
  • egg wash for brushing
  • poppy seeds
  • puff pastry (I used frozen store bought Pampas puff pastry)

Method

1. Dice eschalots and garlic. Mix together all the ingredients except for egg wash, poppy seeds and puff pastry with your hands until thoroughly mixed.

2. Roll out puff pastry on a floured surface. Divide the sausage filling and brush one end of the puff pastry with egg wash.

3. Fold the pastry over the sausage filling and press down to seal (you dont want the roll opening while baking). Brush with egg wash and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.

4! .Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

You can cut them into the desired length as your wish. First I cut them about 2 inches long, then the second time around when making it, I lefti t about 4 inches long. You can even cup them to 1inch and serve them as party food.

As for the filling, if youre feeling all lazy, buy nice sausages (not those ayamas frankfurters ok), cut open the sausage skin and mix up the meat so it acts like youve just whipped up the filling with different minced meat, spices and flavours. They are also freeze friendly. After folding them, I put in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. When youre ready to bake, remove from the freezer to thaw, then brush the egg wash and sprinkle poppy seeds on them. Just the same.

The 2nd time I made it, I used minced pork, sage and red apples as filling. The combination is totally up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment