Simply Cooking: Dakdoritang () - Chicken with Potatoes


I may not be posting up that much of recipes but it does not mean that nothing new is going on in the kitchen. Actually, there are lots of new recipes that I have accomplished but yet to be posted up. I suck! I know. I wish third year is breezy but as I have mentioned in this space so many thousand million times, university is like a Dementor who sucks happy thoughts away from you. That's a bit of exaggeration going on in the previous statement but you get the idea. Currently, I am reading up on 9/11 and Sino-American relations. I find myself smitten by foreign relations. Perhaps, if I were (WERE) to fail to do honours in psychology, I might just do a Masters in Public Administration and Foreign Policy.

Pardon my pep talk and now onto Dakdoritang. Don't you think Dakdoritang is such a cute name for a dish?? Well, not only it is cute, it is the ultimate comfort food that packs a punch into your cold guts!

Dakdoritang is basically chicken with potatoes. I'm not too sure if it is a stew dish or whatnot but it's a delicious Korean recipe that demands little cooking skills and lasts for days :) I made this two or three weeks ago and still have the leftovers in my freezer. :)

The best way to describe its taste? My sister thinks that it's the Korean version of Ayam Masak Merah. :D



A huge picture to torture all of you hungry souls out there.
*evil chuckle*
Recipe: Dakdoritang (Serves 4) - original recipe from here(This recipe has been modified)

-Ingredients:

A:
-8 chicken thig! h fillet s (Use organic!)
-8 baby potatoes (USE BABY), washed

B:
-5 garlic cloves, remove skin and crush
-1 onion, sliced
-2 carrots, skin peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 1 cm x 1cm squares (approx.)
-1 cup of frozen peas
-2 tablespoon of tomato ketchup

C: Sauce
-2 cloves of garlic minced
-3 tablespoon of soy sauce
-3 tablespoon of gochujang
-2 tablespoon of Chinese rice wine/cooking wine
-1.5 tablespoon of Manuka honey/honey
-100 ml of filtered water
-A pinch of pepper
-1 drop of sesame oil


-Instructions:

1. Fill half a pot with water. Bring it to boil. When it is boiling, place chicken into the pot. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove chicken and rinse with cold water. Pour water away. This step removes the excess fats from the chicken.

2. In a separate pot, boil potatoes for a good 5 minutes to soften it slightly. Drain with cold water and cut into half. Don't worry if it is semi-cooked! You will have to cook them again later!

3. While waiting for your chicken and potatoes to boil, prepare sauce. Mix ingredients from list C in a bowl. Also, prepare other ingredients. Don't waste time!

4. Using the same pot that you have used for boiling your chicken, place in the chicken and sauce. Bring to boil. Stir well.

5. When it boils, add in garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes and capsicum. Stir for 1 minute. Turn down the heat to a simmer. Simmer for a good 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally

6. Add in frozen peas and ketchup. Amp up the heat. Stir, stir and stir for 5 minutes. Finish with pepper and if you like, some spring onions would enhance the flavors of this bellywarming stew. Best served with guksu (noodles) or rice.


I hope you enjoy this recipe. Have a lovely Sunday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment