3 cups chicken ()


I love learning about people's cultures and love sharing information about my culture. I find it easier to do this through food because food is universal. Today, I'll be featuring a famous Taiwanese dish known as "san bei ji" or three cups chicken. Why three cups? Because you'll have to use 1:1: 1 of soy sauce: sesame oil: rice wine for this dish.

I always thought that three cups chicken is a tedious dish but in reality, it's pretty simple. I would like to thank Ellie's Almost Bourdain for this recipe. :) Her recipe is very authentic because it makes use of ginger, basil and sugar, which is up to Lin Shangquan's standards (Lin Shangquan is a famous chef in Taiwan). However, I took off the spicy bean sauce from the equation. Instead, I added a little chili oil.

For the recipe, clickhere.






The chicken did not turn out as dark as I would loved it too. For some reason, although the sauce has been reduced to the point that it is dry, the chicken is still in this gold hue. Maybe it's because of the soy sauce that I used. I used Bidor Kwong Heng's light soy sauce for this and not the standard potent Kikoman. Kikoman is a bit too bold in my opinion.


Have you heard of three cups chicken before? Have you had it before?

No comments:

Post a Comment